We’re honored you’re considering hosting a fundraiser to benefit our life-changing programs. Fundraisers organized by passionate individuals or businesses can make a world of difference in the lives of pets and the people who love them. Events may vary from corner lemonade stands to live streams to swanky art shows.
Please review the following guidelines to ensure our name and brand are properly represented. This cooperation helps us guarantee consistency and quality among the many events benefiting the animals. Thank you and happy planning! Submit your fundraiser.
Questions not answered by the guidelines below may be directed to the events team through our fundraising submission form or by calling (925) 296-3118.
Want to support the animals, but don’t know what to do? Take inspiration from these tried and true ideas:
- Celebrate a birthday, wedding, or other special occasion by collecting donations in lieu of gifts.
- Honor a special animal or person by fundraising in their name.
- Host a donation drive to collect items from one of our wish lists.
- Partner with a local bar, restaurant, or shop to have a portion of sales from a specific timeframe benefit our animals and programs.
- Host a sports tournament, art show, or performance with donations acting as the entry fee.
- Start a social media fundraiser on Facebook, Instagram, Streamlabs, Tiltify, GoFundMe, and more!
A great fundraiser starts with a good promotional strategy. Here are some tips to consider:
- Choose a finite date or time frame to host the fundraiser. Donors respond positively to a sense of urgency and deadlines.
- Tag @tlrarf on social channels. Our supporters will find events through tagged posts.
- Use ARF-branded program descriptions or language (reference our website) to tie the event to our mission.
- Include appropriate tax-deduction language and options if available. Transparency will be appreciated by event attendees and donors.
For access to our logos, images, and content to help with your promotions, please submit a fundraiser inquiry.
All fundraising events/promotions benefiting ARF should be approved in advance. We reserve the right to decline any proposal that does not align with our mission or brand.
We may be able to provide general guidance for third-party fundraisers, but the event organizer is responsible for all details, including, but not limited to:
- All related expenses (including licenses, insurance coverage, etc.).
- Recruiting volunteers to assist.
- Promoting the event and sales (if applicable).
- Event setup and breakdown.
- Insurance coverage.
- Adherence to any legal requirements (example: raffles, ABC license, etc.).
We would love to assist with every fundraiser, however as a non-profit with limited staff and resources, that may not be possible. Due to active programs, we are often unable to host third-party fundraisers within our facilities. We are unable to guarantee support in the following ways and will evaluate on a case-by-case basis:
- Promotion and marketing, including social media.
- Hosting a booth, mobile adoptions, or Pet Hug Pack® therapy animals.
- Supplying informational materials such as brochures, table toppers, etc.
If obtaining event sponsors, we ask to review a list of prospects before they are approached. We are fortunate to have existing partnerships with many local businesses and would like to minimize any overlap with our upcoming events and/or fundraising campaigns. We reserve the right to exclude participation from sponsors that do not align with our mission.
Fundraisers must state the portion of proceeds which will be donated in all promotions.
Avoid marketing in a way that gives the impression we support or endorse any product, film, organization, individual, or service.
An event benefiting our mission should always adhere to city, county, and state guidelines. Obtain all permits, licenses, and/or insurance as required. Please note that raffles, drawings, or other games of chance require special permits that may require extra time to be obtained. We cannot assume legal or financial liability associated with third-party fundraisers.
Naming Your Event
All promotional materials should clearly state who is sponsoring or hosting the event. We may be identified as the beneficiary of the fundraiser, but should not be used as the event title. For example, instead of “ARF Lemonade Stand” use “Lemonade Stand Benefiting ARF.” To protect the integrity of our brand, the following logos may be used with our prior approval:
Existing ARF event names should not be used in promotions:
- Stars to the Rescue
- Animals on Broadway
- Puppy & Kitten Shower
- Sit, Stay, Smile Photo Contest
- Wine & Whiskers
- Leaders and Legends
- Dinner of Champions
- Paws and Relax
- Wine Not? Draw & Dash
Financial Guidelines and Tips
Event organizer shall not retain any portion of event proceeds as personal compensation. Bank accounts, holding accounts, or licenses shall not be established under our name.
Our tax ID number cannot be used and we can’t issue receipts. Donations made to a third-party event are not tax-deductible. Only donations made directly and entirely to us are fully tax deductible. We are the only agent who can verify that such a gift was made and the nature of the gift to the IRS.
Encourage event attendees to donate directly to Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation. Direct donations are fully tax deductible if no goods or services were provided in exchange for the donation.
Checks may be mailed to: 2890 Mitchell Drive, Walnut Creek CA 94598
Consider using an online platform to collect donations via debit or credit cards. Select ARF as your charity of choice on Facebook, Instagram, Streamlabs, Tiltify, GoFundMe, or use our Venmo QR code (pictured).
We recommend seeking a platform that doesn’t charge fees or that requests event attendees to cover any processing or service fees as part of their ticket and/or donation to save on event costs.
In some cases, we are able to provide a customized donation form and URL by request.