Need affordable medical care for your dog or cat? If you are a Contra Costa County resident facing serious financial crises, the ARF Emergency Medical Fund® may be able to provide affordable, non-urgent veterinary care for your pet at our clinic in Walnut Creek, California. Since 1995, EMF has been a lifeline for thousands of dogs and cats.
EMF treatment cannot be used for routine, exploratory, elective, preventative, or specialty veterinary care. The term “emergency” in EMF refers to the financial crisis of a guardian unable to access affordable veterinary care.
Qualifying for EMF
- You and your pet(s) must reside in Contra Costa County, California.
- Household income must be at or below the U.S. Department of Housing and Development’s (HUD) definition of very low income limits.
- We require proof that you are the regular caretaker of the animal, household income, and residency.
- Pet must be spayed or neutered. If pet is not spayed or neutered, we offer discounted spay/neuter services if you qualify.
Apply for Assistance
Update: The ARF Emergency Medical Fund®️ is currently paused until early 2023 due to the current waitlist of applicants. We are not accepting new applications at this time. Please check back for program updates.
Please view additional financial assistance options or see the list of resources below.
History of EMF
Inspired by calls they received from the community, ARF volunteers Bev Greenbaum, Dorothy Bullard, Elvira Clark, Enid Schlichtman, and Dolores McCoskey — the EMF Ladies — began making and selling crafts to raise dollars to help caregivers who couldn’t afford veterinary care. The ARF Emergency Medical Fund® was formed in 1995, and is now funded by proceeds generated by the ARF Thrift Store and generous donations from the public.
We want to help families and pets stay together. If you need help, please check out these additional resources for low-cost veterinary care:
- Our low-cost spay and neuter clinic and additional low-cost spay and neuter resources.
- Guide to financial assistance programs for veterinary care.
- Our Pets and Vets program offers free vaccinations and veterinary wellness clinics for Veterans’ pets.
- Bay Area vaccine and wellness clinics.
- Low-cost end-of-life services.
You Can Provide Care to the Pet of a Caregiver in Need
People Rescuing Animals … Animals Rescuing People®